From Bilbao - west or east?

Moderator: Simon_100

Plodder

From Bilbao - west or east?

Post by Plodder » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:37 am

I'm arriving in Bilbao on 29th Sept and leaving from there again on 9th Oct.

I will be on a KTM 690, am experienced at riding off road and fully self-sufficient with camping gear etc.

I've never been to Spain before and would like to know what would give me the best riding experience from Bilbao at that time of year. The more off-road the better but scenery and places to visit are important too.

So should I head East on the TET towards the Pyrenees or go West?

I appreciate this might be difficult one to answer (or it might be pretty obvious to those in the know) but can anyone help with this please?
0 x
Plodder

Re: From Bilbao - west or east?

Post by Plodder » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:47 am

Sorry, I've just seen an earlier post asking the same thing. Don't know how i missed it but I did.

Will look at going south from Bilbao to find trails.
1 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:32 pm

East is probably better as the TET is more tried and tested there and by September there may be a 'round trip' for you! :)
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Plodder

Post by Plodder » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks Simon. I like the sound of this 'round trip'. Where would I find the info on this if it happens please?
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:50 am

Here and the TET facebook group
1 x

mspenz

Post by mspenz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:31 pm

Plodder wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:37 am
I'm arriving in Bilbao on 29th Sept and leaving from there again on 9th Oct.

I will be on a KTM 690, am experienced at riding off road and fully self-sufficient with camping gear etc.

I've never been to Spain before and would like to know what would give me the best riding experience from Bilbao at that time of year. The more off-road the better but scenery and places to visit are important too.

So should I head East on the TET towards the Pyrenees or go West?

I appreciate this might be difficult one to answer (or it might be pretty obvious to those in the know) but can anyone help with this please?
I recently rode east from Bilbao to Tremp and then north into France also using a KTM 690 Enduro, you can access the trail within a very short distance of Bilbao and you are then immediately into some lovely remote trails. Although not ' technical ' some sections are very rough and loose with short steep up / down and negotiating these with a fully loaded 690 can be quite challenging !
Don't expect to cover vast distances due to the terrain though, I was doing between 150 & 220km days and taking around 9 hours to cover that distance with a temperature in the mid 30s.

Definitely don't underestimate the TET as I had 6 days in some very remote parts while travelling east and then north into France and didn't meet or see anyone on the trails so you really have to be prepared for any type of mishap :uhoh .

Stunning route though, absolutely stunning and if you can work it in get over to camping Collegats and base yourself there for a few days and then ride the trails with an unladen bike :old

Enjoy, Mike.
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:53 am

Great piece of feedback Mike! :) Home now?
0 x

mspenz

Post by mspenz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Simon_100 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:53 am
Great piece of feedback Mike! :) Home now?
Yeah, home and back into work the next day...been a struggle!

But, just started packing the 1150gsa for the next trip to Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey so it's not all gloom :D
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:08 am

:)
0 x

Plodder

Post by Plodder » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:59 am

mspenz wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:31 pm
I recently rode east from Bilbao to Tremp and then north into France also using a KTM 690 Enduro, you can access the trail within a very short distance of Bilbao and you are then immediately into some lovely remote trails. Although not ' technical ' some sections are very rough and loose with short steep up / down and negotiating these with a fully loaded 690 can be quite challenging !
Don't expect to cover vast distances due to the terrain though, I was doing between 150 & 220km days and taking around 9 hours to cover that distance with a temperature in the mid 30s.

Definitely don't underestimate the TET as I had 6 days in some very remote parts while travelling east and then north into France and didn't meet or see anyone on the trails so you really have to be prepared for any type of mishap :uhoh .

Stunning route though, absolutely stunning and if you can work it in get over to camping Collegats and base yourself there for a few days and then ride the trails with an unladen bike :old

Enjoy, Mike.
Thanks Mike, that info is really helpful and appreciated. I will try the Collegats option too. You're a star!
0 x