Free Mapping for Garmin Units

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

urkobar

Re: Free Mapping for Garmin Units

Post by urkobar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:49 pm

I have an old garmin nuvi 250 and i can load many maps on my 32 gb sd card,
but first I merge all of them in one, I do it with this command in Linux:

mkgmap --gmapsupp your-existing-map.img map-you-want-to-add.img

I can add tracks too, if they are .gpx files I convert them to .img with
this program → IMGfromGPX_Setup.exe in Windows.

At the end I only have a file gmapsupp.img, move it to my SD and
in my Garmin i go to:
Settings → Map → Map Info, and i can see all my maps and tracks
ready to be clicked.

Hope this help.
1 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Redballrun wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:44 pm
We at TET LOVE the Open Street Map mapping! It makes navigating the TET so much easier. Alternative routes, campsites, petrol and sites are all marked clearly. Sure, some countries are better served than others but the community run open source nature of it just rings our bells!

Choose the country or areas you need and download them to your GPS at: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl
Sorry to be a complete idiot but how do I upload the map set for Basecamp into, er, Basecamp?

I'm also having trouble with the map that says it's ready for loads onto the Garmin - GPSMap 62S - as the maps I use are .img files whereas the download from OSM is .gmap ?

Thanks

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi Simon!

When you get the e-mail back from the server in Wuppertal it gives you a number of links to files. an img one (for Garmin units) and links for PC and Mac. You just choose the relevant one and download it. Then import it into Basecamp.

The last email I had from them:

"Your request for a Garmin map on garmin.openstreetmap.nl is ready.

The server has generated four different configurations of your map:
* _windows.exe = Installer for Garmin BaseCamp/MapSource (Windows).
* _macosx.zip = Installer for Garmin BaseCamp/RoadTrip (Mac OSX)
* _gmapsupp.zip = Combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img)
* _tiles.zip = A zip file containing the tiles in the request, especially useful for Linux users (e.g. QLandkarte)

Please browse to the website listed below and download the map configuration(s) you're interested in. Your request will be available on the server for 96 hours before it's deleted."

Alternatively use this website to download the relevant maps: http://freizeitkarte-osm.de . If the img map is on your Garmin (in a folder on the microSD called "Garmin") then by connecting the unit to the Mac/PC it will show on Basecamp (but only when the unit is attached).
0 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

4tegs

Post by 4tegs » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:50 pm

For the sake of trail riding, I have developed my own OSM map for South-East Europe. Of course it is using the raw data from OSM, but you will recognize a big diffenerce in what you see and when.
This map has its own style and helps to navigate more easy than a standard OSM map does. Tracks are displayed more wide, forests etc. are hidden at detailled zoomlevels so to make details of tracks more visible and easier to navigate.
The map is covering Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Alnania, Mazedonia, Greece.
You can download the full set as a Garmin image to be installed on the SD card of your device, or you can download the installer for later use with Mapsource / Basecamp.

You can download it here: https://www.motorradtouren.de/downloadb ... osm-karte/

Have fun. Feedback is welcome.
1 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:12 pm

4tegs - this looks really interesting! i run a Mac with Basecamp. Can you supply the exe file as gmap?
0 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

UNTAMED me

Post by UNTAMED me » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:05 pm

4tegs I'm just downloading your maps... Can't wait to see :).
Thanks and regards!!
0 x
UNTAMED me

Post by UNTAMED me » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Hmh, I'm afraid something is wrong. I downloaded both, exe and img files but niether one work fine. I do know how to do both, instalation and copying map in device sd card but, it won't work. Will try diferent things...
0 x
Staubteufelchen

Post by Staubteufelchen » Mon May 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Dear experienced TET'ler and keybord-wizzards,
I need your help, to get the polish TET track on a garmin zumo 660 until wednesday evening.
When I grew up, everything was analog and I was happy using paper maps, so I always have a hard time using digital gadgets. So please be patient with me!
A friend (that couldn't help me with this issue) gave me his old zumo 660 and I was able to make a power connection to the bike. So basicaly the unit is powered and functions.

When I go the polish country page in this forum, I see a track-line, coming fron Krajnik Dolny near Schwedt in germany going east to Hrebenne and than south to Berzniki.
Now I want to use the track-data on the zumo 660 but don't know, how to do it. Please expect a knowledge base from zero on my side and give me an idiots guide-line, with every step I have to take from preparing the 8 GB micro SD over getting the data on the micro SD and useing it on the zumo.
Thanks in advance,
Andreas
0 x
swat

Post by swat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:37 am

Maybe there will be a mistake here and therefore you can't get maps to the device.

https://openmtbmap.org/tutorials/basecamp-4-7-0/
0 x
Froggy
Linesman

Post by Froggy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:12 am

For those who are looking for a topographic Open street map in south of France:https://osmtopo.blogspot.com/2019/05/la-carte.html#more
0 x
It's not about the destination, it's about the Journey