Basecamp help

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Chimp

Basecamp help

Post by Chimp » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:09 pm

Good afternoon,
I'm after some assistance please if possible for a complete technophobe. I've purchased a Montana 600 with what I believe has a Discoverer 1:50K map installed on a micro sd card. My limited knowledge is that i will require Basecamp to plan tracks etc on before transferring to the device. I have tried downloading(on a PC) Basecamp (v4.6.2 and v4.7.0), both appear to download ok but when I connect my Montana I get an error message Basecamp Application has stopped working, have tried looking for a solution but no joy as of yet. Does anybody have any ideas they could suggest before I lose the will to ride?
Thanks
0 x
delsterKTM350

Re: Basecamp help

Post by delsterKTM350 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Hi, I know that the most recent Basecamp update had a problem with Garmin units and I was advised not to update my software, so I think the route you need to go down is to find what the previous Basecamp version was or have talks with Garmin I'm sure there help center could talk you through. Hope this helps

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

0 x
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Hmm, strange one that, I updated to basecamp v 4.7.0 the other week and it's working fine with my montana 600. I'm on a pc with windows 10. That doesn't really help you a lot I know, guess you've tried uninstalling and re-installing the basecamp software ? Did you buy the montana 600 secondhand ? Have you tried updating it ? though the latter is probably not possible if you can't get basecamp to run ok.
0 x
WillS

Post by WillS » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:58 pm

I have the latest version of BaseCamp and no problems with the Montana, also using Windows 10.
Can you see the Montana via file explorer ?? This will verify that's the PC is picking it up correctly.
Have you created an account with Garmin?
With My Garmin i think you can see if your Montana has the latest software. Think it's 7.6 at the moment.
Does the Montana turn off and just display the USB sign when you connect via USB to the PC?
Try reinstalling BaseCamp.
Good luck, and hope you manage to solve the problem.
Will
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:34 am

The problem is that Garmin stopped development of Basecamp in 2016. Basecamp is dead. The recent 'upgrade' was actually a downgrade where they only took out features, no bug fixes and mostly so the Basecamp complies with the GDPR privacy laws.

However, you don't need to have the 600 attached to your PC via a usb cable to put tracks on the Montana. You can also put them on the SD card directly.

John Ross, aka Father TET, recently wrote a post on how to do just that
0 x
Chimp

Post by Chimp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks for the help and suggestions people. This morning it recognised my montana and didn't kill basecamp. Fingers crossed it has sorted itself out as I've not done anything different this morning. Now to try and create some of my own routes and will also try downloading a tet gpx file and see if i can get that to work!
0 x