GPX France

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

nick.murphy

GPX France

Post by nick.murphy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 am

Hi,

I am new to all things GPS so I expect I am doing something obviously wrong .. so any guidance on the following would be appreciated.

I am trying to find a GPX viewer I can use on my android phone and laptop so I have started to look at viewranger.

On my windows laptop I have tried to upload a route in the viewranger webpage. I chose the french gpx as I'm planning a trip there this year.

Well it all works well but I only get the route in Northern France, which is a shame as I was trying to plan a route through the Pyrenees.

Do I have to download more than one file? Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Many Thanks Nick
0 x
Didado

Re: GPX France

Post by Didado » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:24 am

Many of the TET GPX files consist of several separate tracks and waypoints contained within the one gpx file. Sometimes apps but also plotting website struggle with opening all of them because I believe they are not compatible with this Garmin version of GPX files. I personally think the TET tracks and waypoints should not be put into single GPX file but should be exported into a folder or directory compressed to a single zip file. That way any app or nav website can open them but hey, I'm not complaining because the linesmen do a great job.

Anyway, as a newcomer into the world of digital navigation you may want to try Guru maps (Pro). It is one of the simplest nav apps and on my iPhone and on my Android tablet I was able to open all of the France tracks and waypoints. If you first take the time to go through the Guru manual (it is really one of the simplest) and then email the France.gpx to yourself, you can open that file directly into Guru Maps.

(I am not affiliated with Guru Maps formerly known as Galilleo. It is just my favorite simple nav app)
0 x
nick.murphy

Re: GPX France

Post by nick.murphy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:57 am

Many Thanks
0 x