Unfashionable TET bikes or total no nos

Choice and preparation

Moderator: Spietfriek

haldir

Unfashionable TET bikes or total no nos

Post by haldir » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Greetings all.
I haven't long since bought a BMW f700gs. I will mainly be using it on roads but fancy doing as much of the UK TET as possible, in bits.
I know it is perhaps the most fancied bike out there for this sort of thing but I'm thinking that as long as I take it steady and am prepared to miss bits out, I should be able to do a fair bit.
I was hoping for some input from people that have come across similar bikes on the trail. How were they doing?
I am intending to fit some bits and bats that might make it more trailish. I'd even be happy to upgrade the suspension if necessary and put some knobblies on it.
Any thoughts would be welcome
0 x
Nepomuk

Re: Unfashionable TET bikes or total no nos

Post by Nepomuk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi,

Your main trouble will be the weight, there is not really a lot you can do about that, besides travelling light.
Knobbies would definitely help in muddy situations, though most here seem to ride normal 50/50 tires since they provide the best of both worlds.

Besides that, its 20% gear and 80% rider, so don't worry and be sure to get some practice time.

Also, check out the following video and all the videos about riding technique on the channel. Very useful stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPRwh_dUJuc

Cheers
0 x
heinrich

Post by heinrich » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Have to agree, there's not much you can do about the weight. (If I remember correctly dry weight is about 200kg!) :lol

Having said that, I have one as well and really enjoy it. It fits my mission perfectly and at the time of purchase I couldn't really justify the added cost of going for the F800.

I did the taffy dakar in Wales with mine last year and as Nepomuk said, it was my lack of skill rather than the bike's ability, that made it so much work for me on that weekend. I put on Heidenau K60 Scouts front & back and that made a big difference to the standard Bridgestones. It's a must for any sort of off-road riding IMO. Looking back at that weekend I am amazed at the terrain I threw at the bike and it did fine. (I was with a group of F650GS Dakars, XTZ Tenere and XT600s)

Some advice if you don't mind me giving it:
- fit some knobblies, you will need it.
- don't waste money on beefing up the suspension. It is what it is. They were not designed for that and personally I would rather sell mine and go for the F800 . It will probably work out the same in cost.
- Fit a decent skid plate. These bikes don't have huge ground clearance and in technical terrain, it shows. After that weekend I came back with a huge dent in mine. And the centre stand is also in the firing line due to that...
- Their biggest Achilles heel in my opinion are the cast wheels. As long as you don't hit a pothole or such at speed you'll be fine.

Hope this helps. Unfashionable? No way. From all the videos of the TET in all the countries I've seen so far, I'd not hesitate to take the F7 there. As long as you take it easy, I think it's doable.
0 x
Ard
Linesman

Post by Ard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:52 pm

Can't wait to try out my unfashionable TET bike :D

!967 Yamaha Trailmaster 100. Two stroke with electric start and two different rear sprockets to have 4 low and 4 high gears for when the going gets tough !

First job is to get it registered though...

0 x
Life is as good as you make it. Do not expect anyone else to do that for you.

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Ard
Linesman

Post by Ard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Can't wait to try out my unfashionable TET bike :D

!967 Yamaha Trailmaster 100. Two stroke with electric start and two different rear sprockets to have 4 low and 4 high gears for when the going gets tough !

First job is to get it registered though...

0 x
Life is as good as you make it. Do not expect anyone else to do that for you.

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)