Adding country-specific alerts

Suggestions of how you’d like the TET to develop
cruftydk

Adding country-specific alerts

Post by cruftydk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi,

Please consider adding a country specific alert for each country on the TET website - fx. as a red banner with "Alert!" text across affected countries on https://www.transeurotrail.org

Alerts should be for known and ongoing issues in the country/part of the TET for that country, and could be for passes/roads closed by snow, road work/construction, roads taken out by rock slides, forest fires, floodings, local temporary restrictions on specific parts of the trail (fx. because of drought and risk of forest fires) and/or other relevant - but temporary - information.

Since all TET riders should be picking up an updated GPX-file immediately before leaving for the TET, I guess a warning on the front page and/or affected country pages should be enough.

/Claus :-)
0 x
cruftydk

Re: Adding country-specific alerts

Post by cruftydk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Alan Holt suggested (on the Facebook page), to also add the ability for a TET rider to subscribe to country specific alert/update/diversion emails. His (I think, very good!) suggestion was, that the subscription should auto-expire after fx. 30 days, so that a rider leaving for fx. the French and Spanish TET, could subscribe to alerts/news for those countries for a fixed and auto-expiring number of days. Thought being, that riders are more apt to check emails (low bandwidth) when away from home, than they are to check the TET website (high bandwidth.)
1 x
Schussboelie

Post by Schussboelie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Hmm, I don't know.
Would be nice info to have but for a large country liek Spain or France there would probably be an alert all the time because there's always some obstruction somewhere.
More importantly though, I really feel it's up to anyone riding anywhere to inform themselves before and during their trip.
The TET community creates and maintains a track, all other local information, though intresting as it may be and shared when available, in my opinion really is outside the scope of TET.
2 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:20 am

Schussboelie wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm
Hmm, I don't know.
Would be nice info to have but for a large country liek Spain or France there would probably be an alert all the time because there's always some obstruction somewhere.
More importantly though, I really feel it's up to anyone riding anywhere to inform themselves before and during their trip.
The TET community creates and maintains a track, all other local information, though intresting as it may be and shared when available, in my opinion really is outside the scope of TET.
I couldn't agree more. Developing the theme that I posted in the original Facebook topic, the TET Spain has nearly 6,000 kms of route - and due to increase over the next few days! :) - but also has seventeen autonomous regions of which the TET passes through ten, not counting Andorra which is also included in the Spanish TET. Each of these regions has its own set of local rule and regulations plus their own means of communicating any changes therein - if at all!

Moreover, within Spain's three major climate zones, Atlantic, Continental and Mediterranean - plus Alpine when you consider the Pyrenees in Andorra and in part of Catalonia - each region tends to have its own sub-climate and/or landscape, i.e. geology, which are often defining features of these regions, for instance the two Castilles, Castilla-la-Mancha and Castilla-y-León are characterised by the central plateau, called the 'Meseta', or tableland, while in each of these regions the TET also passes along or through some of Spain's major mountain systems, the Sistema Ibérico in the former and the Cordillera Cantábrica in the latter. All of these has specific climate features, soil structure, geology, etc. all of which affect how trails are, or are likely to be suffering from the passage of time.

So even taking two regions - historically just the one really - one can see how complicated it could all get and how totally impossible would be the task of keeping up-to-date records or reports of the status of the TET trails, even if there were enough 'Lengthsmen*' - one of John Ross's ideas - to monitor stretches of the TET near where they live conditions change so rapidly that they couldn't keep up - and, like me they tend to have a life to lead!

I feel strongly that bad, i.e. incomplete, information action is more dangerous than no information, e.g. if on a race circuit one of the marshals failed to raise a warning flag the consequences would be worse than if there were no marshals and the racers would have to ride/drive accordingly. Or or prosaically you don't drive your car onto a main road without looking just because your passenger says the way is clear - in Spain this a rather hypothetical situation because - as happened to me this very morning! :) - neither driver nor passenger are looking, being far more involved in animated conversations complete with flailing limbs ... :)

Most people have heard of the engineering concept of 'fail safe', e.g. railway signals revert to red in case of any system or equipment failure. In the world of providing information I suggest the above scenario is the equivalent, i.e. riders on the TET should be prepared for any contingency based on their own skills including researching and 'reading' the landscape, weather conditions, etc. for themselves. After all, the TET is supposed to be an adventure!

Regs

Simon
3 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Rata desierto

Post by Rata desierto » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Simon_100 wrote:
Schussboelie wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm
Hmm, I don't know.
I couldn't agree more. Developing the theme that I posted in the original Facebook topic, the TET Spain has nearly 6,000 kms of route - and due to increase over the next few days! :) - but also has seventeen autonomous regions of which the TET passes through ten, not counting Andorra which is also included in the Spanish TET. Each of these regions has its own set of local rule and regulations plus their own means of communicating any changes therein - if at all!

Moreover, within Spain's three major climate zones, Atlantic, Continental and Mediterranean - plus Alpine when you consider the Pyrenees in Andorra and in part of Catalonia - each region tends to have its own sub-climate and/or landscape, i.e. geology, which are often defining features of these regions, for instance the two Castilles, Castilla-la-Mancha and Castilla-y-León are characterised by the central plateau, called the 'Meseta', or tableland, while in each of these regions the TET also passes along or through some of Spain's major mountain systems, the Sistema Ibérico in the former and the Cordillera Cantábrica in the latter. All of these has specific climate features, soil structure, geology, etc. all of which affect how trails are, or are likely to be suffering from the passage of time.

So even taking two regions - historically just the one really - one can see how complicated it could all get and how totally impossible would be the task of keeping up-to-date records or reports of the status of the TET trails, even if there were enough 'Lengthsmen*' - one of John Ross's ideas - to monitor stretches of the TET near where they live conditions change so rapidly that they couldn't keep up - and, like me they tend to have a life to lead!

I feel strongly that bad, i.e. incomplete, information action is more dangerous than no information, e.g. if on a race circuit one of the marshals failed to raise a warning flag the consequences would be worse than if there were no marshals and the racers would have to ride/drive accordingly. Or or prosaically you don't drive your car onto a main road without looking just because your passenger says the way is clear - in Spain this a rather hypothetical situation because - as happened to me this very morning! :) - neither driver nor passenger are looking, being far more involved in animated conversations complete with flailing limbs ... :)

Most people have heard of the engineering concept of 'fail safe', e.g. railway signals revert to red in case of any system or equipment failure. In the world of providing information I suggest the above scenario is the equivalent, i.e. riders on the TET should be prepared for any contingency based on their own skills including researching and 'reading' the landscape, weather conditions, etc. for themselves. After all, the TET is supposed to be an adventure!

Regs

Simon
Simon I just love the last line of your post! If you don't want the adventure then buy a guided tour or stay home ;-)

Sendt fra min SM-G955F med Tapatalk

0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:24 pm

Rata desierto wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:31 pm
Simon
Simon I just love the last line of your post! If you don't want the adventure then buy a guided tour or stay home ;-)[/quote]

Wow, you got as far as the last line! :) :) :)

Regs

Simon
0 x

yoohah

Post by yoohah » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:10 am

I was thrown away with similar suggestions (to add track/country specific information, POI's etc.) from the FB discussion and whole idea was deleted by saying "vast majority disagree", "you can not change TET", "it's an adventure". I am a strong favor of adding more information. There are many different aspects of this issue. First is that (at least myself) one want's to prepare by planning routes, tracks, timing etc. things beforehand. In this specific moment the more information is better than less information. Second is that if situations change drastically on route (you will become exhausted, some mechanical problems, things goes overall pear shaped), you can adjust your travel according the information, POI's etc.

Of course there are some negative issues regarding updating the information, misleading information, different experiences and bikes and so forth.

But in good spirit of open and democratic discussion and not to gag the suggestions we should try. I am not suggesting more work to linesmen, this POI marking should be done by users. And actually this "country specific alerts" is going on right now in the other thread. And I am going to contribute it as much I can.
1 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:47 am

I take your point about planning, etc. yoohah and I don't think people are dismissing this. But the Linesmen do have day jobs to think of and I think it's a matter of managing expectations.

This is a good example of how to 'expect the unexpected' referring, among others I'm sure, to the 'notorious' section on Spain Section 1 near Mintagut,

"Well after a bit of road work in France, I picked up the end of section 1 Spain. Well the trails are awesome and really long. There were a couple of difficult sections but only because they take you by surprise. Nothing a bit of brute force couldn’t sort out as I have no technical riding skills. "

This is from Night Turner's Facebook report and IMHO, shows the most suitable attitude to riding the TET.

Regs

Simon
0 x