Difficulty rating of the trail

Suggestions of how you’d like the TET to develop
nordicbiker

Difficulty rating of the trail

Post by nordicbiker » Mon May 07, 2018 5:41 pm

I am actuslly very greatful to allthe linesmen snd riders who have contributed to this truly fantastic project of developping the tet trail. However I’d like to suggest one improvement: rating of difficulty of sections of the trail. It would be great to see which sections are absolutely not recommendable onbig heavy bikes, for an average rider. Msybe this could simply be done by colour coding the gpx trail?
0 x
Didado

Re: Difficulty rating of the trail

Post by Didado » Tue May 08, 2018 11:37 am

This has been extensively discussed on the forum. Conclusion, next to impossible to do. On a trials bike the TET would be 1 and on a GS 1200 a 10 but then you put Chris Birch on the GS 1200 and it is probably a 3 and have me ride it on the 64 kg trials bike and it is probably an 8... :-)
2 x
WillS

Post by WillS » Tue May 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Personally I would prefer the trails to remain unrated, you can then simply make your own decisions based on your ability, size of bike that you are riding, and with or without full luggage etc..
Not a big problem to walk a difficult section of a trail to see if you are confident to try, walk it with the bike, or simply turn around and find another way around the problem.
As previous said, If a good experienced rider is rating them, they are all easy, If Its a novice they are mostly hard!!
Too many variables to accurately rate the trails.
3 x
dragos

Post by dragos » Wed May 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Didado wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:37 am
This has been extensively discussed on the forum. Conclusion, next to impossible to do. On a trials bike the TET would be 1 and on a GS 1200 a 10 but then you put Chris Birch on the GS 1200 and it is probably a 3 and have me ride it on the 64 kg trials bike and it is probably an 8... :-)
Technically speaking, the trails can be objectively rated for difficulty. It has nothing to do with the bike or the rider.

A nicely maintained unpaved road will have a low difficulty while a steep, big boulder populated single track could be high difficulty.

The fact that the high difficulty one is hopeless for normal people on a dual sport but doable by someone like CB on a big twin is a completely different matter. It has nothing to do with the rating but with the technical capacity of the rider to approach difficult terrain.

The reason for not having ratings is the just the lack of manpower.

People should go on the TET and rate it themselves instead of asking for it to be delivered to them. Then it'll be clear to them why it's not being done.
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 pm

dragos wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:54 pm
Didado wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:37 am
Technically speaking, the trails can be objectively rated for difficulty. It has nothing to do with the bike or the rider.

A nicely maintained unpaved road will have a low difficulty while a steep, big boulder populated single track could be high difficulty.

The fact that the high difficulty one is hopeless for normal people on a dual sport but doable by someone like CB on a big twin is a completely different matter. It has nothing to do with the rating but with the technical capacity of the rider to approach difficult terrain.

The reason for not having ratings is the just the lack of manpower.

People should go on the TET and rate it themselves instead of asking for it to be delivered to them. Then it'll be clear to them why it's not being done.
I agree and disagree :-)

I agree with the manpower but I totally disagree with the difficulty.

In rock climbing they rate a climb. The only factor is the human. It is based on human ability not on shoes or anything else.

Rating an off road track for motorbike riding is based on two things: human ability and the bike. A human with the same ability will have a much easier time with a lighter bike then a heavier bike on the same trail.

So to rate it would require a rating for light, medium and heavier bikes etc.. And in that one I agree. That would require even more manpower like you said :-)
0 x
dragos

Post by dragos » Wed May 09, 2018 6:07 pm

Didado wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 pm
A human with the same ability will have a much easier time with a lighter bike then a heavier bike on the same trail.
Yes, but these are two different things.
The difficulty of the trail is one thing. How riders of different abilities, on different bikes, are able to handle said trail, is a completely different one.

To go to my example: you can rate a nice unpaved road as difficulty 1 and a super gnarly single track as difficulty 9 and grade everything in between. And this will make sense even if you don't involve bikes at all.

Now, of course there will be specifications like: tracks above level 5 dificulty shouldn't be approached on a big bike; tracks above level 7 should only be considered by experts; tracks above level 8 would be inaccesible if it rained recently and so on.

So yes, you rate the tracks themselves. The "human ability" and "bike size" and whatever are criteria that people will evaluate in order to decide what tracks they'll ride.
0 x
WillS

Post by WillS » Wed May 09, 2018 6:52 pm

I think it's really difficult to grade / rate a trail. You can have 25km of easy trail and a 50m steep and knarley incline, So the whole trail is rated difficult.
Unlike skiing were a red on one resort is a blue on another. Also they have the facility to piste and smooth. And the snow is mainly constant, unlike a trail that varies with the 4 seasons of weather, with ruts, loose stones, heavy 4x4 vehicles that use the trails, avalanche over the trail, trees down!! The list is endless.
Personally I think it's an impossible and evert changing task.
Best is to video the difficult section and let riders make up their own mind. Always safer to turn round if not sure.
After all it is an adventure, not knowing what round the next corner or hairpin is why we do it. Otherwise Google Street / Trail view would do the trails for us!! Let's hope they don't!!
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Wed May 09, 2018 6:53 pm

dragos wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:07 pm
Didado wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 pm
A human with the same ability will have a much easier time with a lighter bike then a heavier bike on the same trail.
Yes, but these are two different things.
The difficulty of the trail is one thing. How riders of different abilities, on different bikes, are able to handle said trail, is a completely different one.

To go to my example: you can rate a nice unpaved road as difficulty 1 and a super gnarly single track as difficulty 9 and grade everything in between. And this will make sense even if you don't involve bikes at all.

Now, of course there will be specifications like: tracks above level 5 dificulty shouldn't be approached on a big bike; tracks above level 7 should only be considered by experts; tracks above level 8 would be inaccesible if it rained recently and so on.

So yes, you rate the tracks themselves. The "human ability" and "bike size" and whatever are criteria that people will evaluate in order to decide what tracks they'll ride.
What you are implying is the same rating as used on ski slopes. They are generally rated by steepness. So people have to make a judgement based on their perceived skill.... In other words am I good enough to do a black piste... The equipment makes hardly any difference.

Offroad the equipment makes a huge difference. To ride a '5' Tet trail on a lightweight enduro bike would be peanuts but on a 1200 a '5' might mean impossible so in other words because of the equipment a rating will be meaningless.
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Wed May 09, 2018 7:10 pm

And I haven't even mentioned trail conditions due to weather...
0 x
dragos

Post by dragos » Wed May 09, 2018 7:52 pm

WillS wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:52 pm
I think it's really difficult to grade / rate a trail. You can have 25km of easy trail and a 50m steep and knarley incline, So the whole trail is rated difficult.
Indeed.
For something like the TET, rating would be done on sections of the trail, with colour coding or something similar.
1 x